Winter is still here.....

Even though it has been a very mild winter for Northern Illinois, it is still with us.  Today it started to snow again, BIG, JUICY flakes that looked like manna falling from heaven.  We had about an inch of snow on the ground in just a half-hour, but it then slowed down and we haven't gotten much more.  We are supposed to get 6-8" overnight, but I hope they have over estimated - again.

This is the view out my back door this afternoon.  You CAN see the big snowflakes!

An update on my projects:  I have finally finished that second sock from Christmas.

They are delivered to DS and I hope he likes them.  I had to take a break from sock knitting.  My hands and my attention were just wearing out!  I also needed to get a prayer shawl made for a good friend that is going through Cancer. Now I am going to finish a sweater that I started last winter!

I got the budget made out and the family bookkeeping is going well - or at least as much as I can determine after just a month and a half!   I went through the bank statements for the last year and got an average of our expenses in all the different categories for the year.  Then I made out an averaged allowance for each category in a month.  My budget actually worked out to be more than our monthly income, but we would never spend the max in every category in a month.  I know my budget will need tweaking, but I will make a revision after 6 months - after I see how we are doing.

Another accomplishment that I have made this past week is to get on track with my housekeeping.  We have moved so frequently the past 4 years, that I have never been able to settle into a routine.  YEARS ago, I used the Sidetracked Home Executives book and card method to get my housekeeping on a regular schedule.  Somehow, my Mom always knew what needed to be done and when (and how), but I rebelled from her routine and wanted to do things "my way".... which was to not do a lot of things at all!  Now that we are settled into this house, and things are going well with the parents,  I am finding that my outside-the-house activities DO have a routine. Now it is time to get out my Household Chore Schedule and tweak it.  Well, rather than tweaking, I had to do a complete overhaul.  I don't think my Chore cards had been updated in about 12 years!  Granted, when you get into a routine, you don't need to rely on the cards so much, but mine were really outdated and not only had the kids grown up, but we have moved and this house needs SO much more managing (much bigger house).  So I treated myself to a whole new pack of colored cards, and a  new file box and I settled in.  I used my old cards as a guide and set up my new working file.  It took a while, and I still have a lot of "tweaking" to do, but today was my first day to "hit the floor running".  Actually, I worked fairly steadily most of the day, accomplished every chore, and still have the evening free.  What a nice feeling!

Now if I can build in an assigned time to blog, I can keep up with this a little better... Okay a LOT better!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A post of his own

Adjustments

Summer's End