A post of his own

 At last, the search has ended.

We -or rather I- had given up.  We even went to the local shelter to see if we could find a suitable companion for us and for Archie, but (fortunately), no dice.

And then I got a message from a friend.  They were at the Afghan Hound Club of America National Specialty.  I had jokingly sent them a message the week before to have a good time - and "find me a dog", never imagining that it would happen.  You don't go to a dog show to get a dog.  No one there wants to place out their dog.... or so I thought.  They sent me a message that said "we found the perfect dog for you!"

It has taken a month, lots of messages back and forth, a major transportation hurdle, but he is here!

Meet CHINO

Chino, age 'not yet 3 years'.

 Just as promised, he is delightful.  Sweet, calm, friendly.... everything we wanted.  He gets along fine with Archie, even if they are not quite ready to cuddle up together.

sharing the sofa

and snuffling about in the lawn

And best of all, he is okay with kids!  The first 'meet and greet' was kept short and calm, and he gets another day of quiet before the kids are here Monday and Tuesday after school.  We plan to keep the Thanksgiving Holiday weekend fairly quiet too, maybe have the family all here one afternoon? We know we need to ease him into the circus gently and slowly....

Snuffly

I think that in time, he will actually play with them.


But first and foremost, he is filling a gap.  We have an Afghan. Chino makes #11.


Gotcha day, Nov. 18, 2023
GrCh Who Wears the Pants at Sovreign
(how's that for a name???)


Comments

  1. Wow, he looks beautiful. Though I imagine he'll spread hair all over the place?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not terribly. Afghan Hounds do not have undercoat so they don't shed like double-coated dogs (say, for example a Collie or a Spaniel). We are seeing more hair than usual due to stress/acclimation, but that will taper off. The really big issue is all the "yard garbage" that he brings in, EVERY time he goes out and comes back in! I have all kinds of tiny leaves and bits of grass cluttering up my floors. But running the vacuum evry day is good exercise! I have groomed him twice now (about every 10 days) and trimmed all the fluffy hair from his feet. Already seeing less hair drop and he is coming out of his shell and showing more of his personality. He crunched my Husband's glasses yesterday - not a good thing to do, but it shows he is comfortable here now. (He really likes my hubby, but he is at work 9 hours/day!)
      Happy Christmas to you!

      Delete
  2. Thank you. I was amused at your saying that "aren't I" is more grammatical than "amn't I". It's less grammatical, in my view. Who says "I are..."???? But you're in the majority - I think it's just Scots who say "amn't".

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Adjustments

Summer's End