March, the Lion

Okay, I am remembering the old proverb that if March comes in like a lion, it goes out like a lamb... and I hope it is true!  March 1st was not really so bad, but March 2nd was a bear of a day!  I had all kinds of things going last weekend; an Agility Seminar from Friday through Sunday, and on Friday afternoon I was supposed to slip out of that and go to a dog show in Milwaukee.  Well... the weather forecast got worse and worse: from rain showers, to rain turning to snow, to rain turning to LOTS of snow, and instead of staying north of us, the freeze line came farther south and HIT.  Hearing these changes I decided fairly early in the day that I should NOT drive up to Milwaukee, as it was a pretty sure thing that no matter what, I was going to have to drive home that night on bad roads.  I stayed close to home and just went the 13 miles down to the Seminar, and boy, was I GLAD!  Not only was the seminar really good, but by the time we finished up Friday afternoon, the snow was already about 2 " deep, on top of icy roads, and still coming down hard and fast!  The drive home from the training club usually takes be about 17 minutes, but it took over a half-hour when I could only go about 15-20 mph.  I am a real scardey-cat when it comes to driving on slick roads!

The Agility Seminar was really good!  Our presenter was world-class agility competitor, Dave Munnings from England.  Dave is one of those rare individuals that can not only train dogs and win, but he can translate his methods to the rest of us in a way that makes sense and gives us hope that we can get the best out of our dogs.  He works with Border Collies, the premier dogs in agility, but has trained lots of different breeds as well.  In the group of people that had working positions in the seminar, not a single one had a BC, yet his methods drew positive performances from all the dogs: Aussies, Goldens, poodles, Labs, Visla, mixes and even a little Bichon and a Cairn terrier.  Dave's people skills were great, too.  Whether the handlers were seasoned pros that have trained and competed for years, or newbies that are working on their first agility dog, everyone got his full attention and encouragement.  If you are "into" agility, check out http://www.davemunnings.co.uk/ to find out more about Dave and his methods.

On another topic.....  After all this running around and adjusting my schedule for this busy weekend, I was worn out but happy to get back into my usual routine.  My second full week on my housekeeping program still feels good.  Monday was a bit difficult because I was just plain tired, but I stuck with it!  I got all of my assigned Monday chores done, and it was not even difficult.  I worked and took time-outs as I need them, and got through everything without a problem.  Monday is a moderate work day, mainly because there is always tidying up to do after a weekend, and with guests coming to the house on Tuesday afternoons, I like to know that I have the main floor clean and tidy.  So after I get home from my private training time at the dog club (I leave about 8:30 and get home around 10:30), I start right in on dusting and vacuuming the main floor and cleaning the half-bath for guests.  That really isn't too much to do on top of the daily things like dishes, tidying things away, planning supper, and at the end of the day, finishing up the kitchen.  Starting next week I will have to be sure that I plan a simple supper (easy to fix and not too much cleaning up) because I start my evening Agility class again. But I don't need to leave the house until 8:30pm for the 9-10pm class.... I regret that my instructor is leaving after this spring session, but I really don't think I am going to like taking class that late in the evening......

That is all for now. I'll be back later to record more about my projects and the books I am reading.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A post of his own

Adjustments

Summer's End