Summer's Here!

HOT- HOT- HOT - the weather, that is.

Last week we had several days over 100F and the rest were in the upper 90's.  BLAH.  All week there were "chances for thunderstorms" but even though we could see the storm clouds coming close, they always faded away or passed us without leaving a drop.  I have been watering my gardens at least once a day - flowers, berry canes, and vegetables.  Now I am beginning to water the trees!  The lawn was gone weeks ago.  There is not a single green lawn to be found in our neighborhood, and that is odd for Illinois!

Another storm, passing us by, but what a show!

Not only is the weather outside miserable, being inside is more comfortable but still oppressive.  I have so many things that I had planned to do this summer, and I am not making much progress.....

However, I have done a few things.  In my last edition, I shared an excellent experience with showing Elvis.  We have continued to show and had some more successes!  The following weekend, Elvis earned another point and was Best of Breed in a small local show.  We had our first trip into the Group ring and that was exciting! The weekend after that we went to a Field Trial and Elvis earned his Junior Courser title.  I am very pleased with him!  The weekend after that was Maija's turn.  Since she did so well at her first Agility Trial in May, I decided to try again.  We entered a trial in the Rockford area - only an hour away. I thought it would be good experience for me, and as long as Maija is willing to go, we will.  She did not do too badly, she earned one more Qualifying leg, this time in Standard, Novice Preferred.  I did not push her since I have found that she has something dingy going on with her heart.  After we identify what exactly is wrong, and determine what can be done about it, we will decide if she can get into condition for more trials, or if she really needs to be retired.  More about that later, after her ultrasound.
Maija, Agility Trial #2, 3rd place in her class.

Accomplishment #2 is knitting.  I was asked to finish a project that I had in progress, to give to one of our Church's graduating Seniors.  Let me tell you, I needed incentive to get that thing done!  I wanted to learn a new pattern, a chevron or ripple pattern, and I had some yarn that was a pretty variegated blue-green.  But the only needles that I had that were the correct size were metal needles.  I positively HATE working with this kind of yarn (Homespun by Lion Brand, 100% acrylic) and it is even worse when working on metal or plastic needles!  It squeaks.... and affects me like fingernails on a chalkboard!  But I like to make Prayer Shawls, (and that is what this started out to be) and they recommend we use this yarn because it washes so well.  I am really glad to have it DONE!  I will not make myself work with that stuff again for a while.  I am currently working on a project for myself; a shawl worked in a Merino/Silk blend that is as heavenly to work with as the other was horrid ;-)  It is a fingerling weight, and I am working the pattern with larger needles, so it is very lacy.  Not a bad project for summer!
My summer shawl project.


Now, my upcoming project is my kitchen/family room.  I have wanted this room painted since we bought the house.  It has wallpaper in the kitchen that has probably been there since the house was built, in 1987.  Very "country style" - and very dirty.  This is going to be a big project, not only because the wallpaper has to be removed, but also because it is 2 larger rooms, and the ceilings have to be done, as well.  LOTS of covering up, lots of moving things around, and lots of mess. I think I will break it down in to manageable sections and do just one area at a time.  But I do need to set a goal.  Since I am having family come up around Aug. 1, maybe that would be a good goal?  I have 1, 3-day dog show weekend between now and then, and another show just the two days before - that leaves me two weeks and two weekends.... Let's see if I make it! 
Kitchen

Kitchen eating area

Family Room.... uh, oh!
Okay, the dishes are done, but these rooms are not exactly tidy - esp. not the one with the Afghan Hound ripping up his toys!  El -VIIIIIISSSSSSSS!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A post of his own

Adjustments

Summer's End