Garden Vegetable Soup

Here it is already November 2.  Hard to tell from being outdoors today!  It is sun-shiny and the temperature is a wonderful 71 degrees (F) with only a very slight breeze.  Perfect, right?  But for November it is a gift from heaven!

  Elvis posing on our walk today.  



Most of my garden is in and stored, but I still have brussel sprouts and parsnips to harvest.  I sampled a brussel sprout as I walked past the garden doing yard work yesterday. It tasted like a baby cabbage!  I'll give them a little longer as they are still quite small.



















Today I did want to make a vegetable soup, so here is what I came up with.  Anything that I did NOT grow myself, I will mark with an *.

All vegetables were chopped.

In a large Dutch Oven, saute:
2 Tbsp olive oil*
1 small onion
1/2 C celery
2 small carrots
2 medium potatoes
2 cloves minced garlic*

then add liquids:
32 oz stock* (I used beef, but it was organic)
3 Cups oven-roasted and pureed tomatoes
   (These were tomatoes picked green just before our first frost, and ripened in a brown bag. I roasted them after they had turned red.)
~bring just to a simmer and cook the vegetables until tender.
Then add:
1 1/2 cups chopped frozen green beans
1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels* (bought at farmer's market)
1 C chopped cabbage

Continue to simmer until vegetables are all warmed through.

Final additions were salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes... to taste!

Total cooking time from beginning to end was just about an hour.  This makes a LOT of soup and since I am the only one that likes it, I will only be able to eat about half of it!  I will freeze the other half of it to eat later!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A post of his own

Adjustments

Summer's End