Holidays!

AS you can see from the date of my last post... it's been a while.

 It would seem that I may be afflicted to some degree, by that nasty malady known politely as "winter blues".  Starting sometime in late October, my energy and zest seem to fade until by December, I am dreading the Holiday season.  It happened this year a little more than most, so I decided to do something about it.  I got one of those daylight lamps to try "light therapy" to see if it will help.  I didn't get the lamp until about Christmas time, but I seem to be having a bit of luck with it.  Let's hope it works (and I can start with it earlier next year)!  Already I am being more productive each day! (It could also be that the expectations of the holidays are behind me too, so next year will be the true test ;-)

I can't blame my malady on the weather as we have had a long and beautiful fall.  We did have a HUGE snowfall in mid-November (14") but it was all melted in a very few days, and we have had hardly any more since - until this week.
    


Only a few nights below 20*F (two that were under 10*F, enough to freeze everything in my unheated greenhouse!)

   I have had the opportunity to be outdoors and walk far later into the season than for several years past.  You would think that would mean that I have maintained my fitness level and weight loss.... you would be wrong.  I have just held steady until the holidays.....  then blew it and now have to start over.  Sigh.


For better news:  Thanksgiving was a really great time with all of our kids home for the whole 4-day weekend!  Grandson is a doll and while they were here, he figured out how to pull himself up to the sofa bench.
Grandson
Grandson and his Daddy




Grandson and Uncle (Son #2)
Eldest son Family





We hear now that he is taking a few steps, but not without support.  He will probably start running when we go out to babysit next week!  In any case, it will be a great time!






Christmas was quiet. Son #2 came for the weekend and I do so enjoy cooking with him!  I had made homemade lasagna (made with lots of our own produce) for Christmas Eve, and with DS#2, made a nice dinner for Christmas day, even though there were just the three of us.



Today I took this quick picture of Elvis to show our current odd snow.... it began as sleet and changed to something more like snow.... but it really is icy.  So icy in fact, that the dogs can walk ON it instead of their feet sinking into it!  Let's hope it melts soon, too!

My last note today is to report on my vegetable store.  So far we are still eating most of our own vegetables: potatoes, carrots, onions, squash and turnips are still holding in the cool garage or fridge, and the rest are still supplying us from the freezer: corn, green beans, peas, celery, tomatoes.  I thought I would see a drop in my grocery bill, but since I am buying everything I can Organic, it has stayed about the same.... buying less but paying more for what I do buy.  Oh, well.  I know that we are eating better anyway!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A post of his own

Adjustments

Summer's End