Delighted!

What a wonderful trip we had!  As you know, I had planned everything myself and was a little concerned that everything would go smoothly... it did!  Not a single hitch!

We hired a car service to take us to the airport, as that was going to be more economical than driving ourselves and paying for parking (for almost 3 weeks!)  What a luxury!

All travel went smoothly.  I do wish to comment that the exclusion of food on long airline flights is quite annoying.  I always pack snacks, but still....

An internet acquaintance offered to meet us at Heathrow and guide us through the subway system to our hotel.  WHAT a gift!  It was so comforting to know that especially in our befuddled jet-lagged state, someone was going to take our hands and guide us through something we had no experience with!  Sally was so accommodating and taught us how very easy it is to navigate around London.  And we loved our hotel.  It was a pub/restaurant with rooms - very old, but nicely updated and the food was delicious!

The Windmill, Clapham Common, London
Our first day was spent sight-seeing.  We did the Hop on - Hop off bus thing and it was perfect.  The weather was great, we found our way to Central London via the Tube and had no trouble getting to the pick-up stops.  Just plain lovely.  We didn't go in anywhere, just sat on the bus and gaped...
A couple of tourists

That is me!  In front of Buckingham Palace! REALLY!

Just hanging out at the Tower of London....

The Bus Tour also included a short boat ride on the Thames...
DH enjoying the view out the boat.

Going under London Bridge... #8!! Turns out the children's song is right!  London Bridge is regularly falling down!

This is NOT London Bridge, this is Tower Bridge. Remember that!


Day 2 was a bus trip out of London.  The first stop was Windsor Castle.  Not far (enough) from London... it is in the flight path to Heathrow Airport, only 6 miles away.

Flag indicates if Queen is in or not.  Today she us not there.  Notice jet.

Windsor village just outside castle walls.  Light rain.  Moderate tourists.




































Our next stop on this tour was Stonehenge.  Wow.  Really impressive. I was fascinated with Stonehenge when I was in grade school.  So glad I could see it!
Cool and windy, but SO impressive!

Wonderful Visitor Center!  Totally out of sight of the Stones.


Waiting to get into the Roman Baths.


At the Pool.  DH can't figure out his camera, so I took a snap with my phone!



































Our final stop for the day was Bath and the Roman Baths.  Something that Jim really wanted to see, and me too!
Up above, DH and a Roman
 Our final day in London was a trip to Wimbledon!  This is the only picture that I can find just now...
DH saying "I know I put my credit card in here..."



I'll do us all a favor and post this in units.  This ends our stay in London, we left for Scotland the next morning....

Comments

  1. Sounds great. It was such a pity that you hit Scotland the day we left for Italy or I'd have been happy to show you around Edinburgh. Next time!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A post of his own

Adjustments

Summer's End