Winter....

Just as certain as anything, winter is here.

We have had winter since November, so nuts to hoping for a long, pleasant fall...  I had planted seeds in late Sept or early Oct, hoping that I could harvest some quick-growing greens for Thanksgiving and maybe Christmas?  No such luck.  It was well below freezing for a while in November already.

We did have a lovely Thanksgiving Holiday with all the family in attendance... including New Baby Girl! She arrived Nov. 17, a tiny girl at 6#7oz.  But she is growing and happy!  We also took the requisite Family Holiday Photo, this is as good as we can get:


DH and DS the Younger had driven out together from WI and IL, and due to the weather (snow, wind) they had to stay an extra day, into Monday.  But they did arrive back to their homes safely that night.  For Christmas, they decided to drive separately, since they had different schedules and plans.

I handmade very few gifts for Christmas:I  sewed a house robe for DGS the Elder and knitted socks for DGS the younger.  Our Christmas was very modest as far as gift-giving went.  Only one or two useful things for everyone.  I just don't get this Christmas commercial extravagance.  So unnecessary!  I would like to make handmade gifts for everyone, but I get the best ideas at the last minute, so there is no time!  Maybe I should start now for next year?

Christmas Eve we were invited to be with D-i-L's sister's family, so that was nice.  Christmas Day we went over to DH the Elder's home to witness the Opening of the Gifts with the children, and then we hosted the Family Christmas Dinner later that afternoon at our house.  It was a nice day, all around.  Not nearly as quiet as our previous Christmases!  DS the Younger headed back on Friday, taking a head cold with him, but DH stayed for a few more days... waiting for the weather to clear again. He ended up staying until NewYear's Day.... that was the next time the roads were clear enough!

For these winter holiday visits, we kept any projects to a minimum. Winter h










olidays are not really a good time to do anything major.  DH did apply for some jobs out here, but unfortunately, nothing has come through.

Up until now, I have been pretty content.  It is kind of nice to have the house to myself and do what I want on my own schedule.  I have had the Grandsons from time to time: Picking them up after daycare and keeping them for an evening, or even for a few overnights when DS and wife needed to be gone.  And then since Baby Girl has arrived, I have had her for a few hours or a day here and there... but then there will be several days when I don't see them at all.  So I have to admit that I am a bit lonely at times.  I HAVE finally gotten accepted into the Kennel Club, and now can go and work my dogs in their building.  Occasionally I share the space with someone else who is also there working their dogs, but as often as not, I am there alone.



I do need to find some way to connect with people and activity...  Maybe the Master Gardener group will come through soon.

I have to admit that I have visited only one church, and it did not feel like a good fit for me.  And then I have had family plans or been ill for several Sundays.  I need to get back in the habit of at least visiting churches.

And on the subject of Health:
I found a Doctor that I like, and she directed me to an Allergist and a Pulmonologist.  The Allergist had me do two series of tests and found that I have very mild allergies to a few things, but I have been avoiding those as much as possible and still have this skin irritation.  Now I move on to a dermatologist...  The Pulmonologist read my CAT scan and feels that the nodes in my lungs are not something to be concerned about.  I am to revisit in 2 years.  Mammogram was fine.  I have also been to the Dentist.

However, none of this maintenance or preventative care could keep me from finally picking up the common head or chest cold.  I've now had both...One started in my nose and having been recovered from that for about 2 weeks, I promptly succumbed to a chest cold... which also moved up to my head.  Still trying to fight this one off!

I had better get well soon!  Little GD will be coming to spend her days with me beginning Feb 10!  I believe the plan is for me to have her here at my house until their new house is finished and they can move in.  Then I will probably go over there, for at least part of our day. (I don't like the townhouse they live in now... it is incredibly dark and gloomy.)  Hopefully they can be moved in March?

So that's me up to date.  I'm planning my gardens and almost ready to start some seeds.  I have ordered fruit trees and berry bushes.  I am busy sewing and knitting. And as soon as I feel up to it, I will start walking again, to be fit for all these activities!  For now, I am counting calories and trying to get a bit of weight off.  Story of my life....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A post of his own

Adjustments

Summer's End