Garden totals

 While it isn't over until it's over, the garden is pretty much done for the year.  So I decided to take a bit of inventory today to see how well we have done.  Compared to last year when I got almost nothing (except the 50 or so onions that a friend picked out of my old garden and sent home with my hubby), anything will be progress!  I know I don't have enough of anything to last a full year... except green beans - I might have enough of those!

Here are a couple of pics of the freezer and pantry.






I've actually made a current inventory, so for lack of a better place to save it, I'll put it here.  This does not take into consideration all of the things I have eaten so far!

NOT from my garden; 
  Purchased produce, then frozen:
                   2 gal. bags peaches
                   2 gal bags of Jersey sweet potatoes (patties)
                   2 qt. & 2 pt. containers of applesauce
Gifted produce:
                   2 pt. & 2 half pt. pear jam
                   1 pt. & 4 half pt. plum jam

From my garden, FROZEN in bags or containers
        3 qt. Broccoli
        5 qt. Cauliflower
        3 qt. Carrots (roasted)
        5 sm. Celery
        5 qt. & 9 sm. Green Beans
        5 sm. Peppers
        9 qt. & 6 pt. Tomato Sauce
        2 qt. Zucchini

Jars
        4 pt. Cucumber Dill pickles
        4 pts. Beets, pickled
        2 pts. Salsa

Dry storage
        5 Acorn Squash
        5 Butternut Squash
        3 Pie Pumpkins
        15# potatoes
         6# onions (mostly quite small)

Not nearly enough to feed us for a year, however considering that this is the first year for a newly built garden with all new soil put onto cardboard over thick sod,  I guess this is pretty good. I have some ideas for increasing next year's production, which includes building at least two additional beds.

 I have also planted fruits that will take longer than a year to mature: Blueberries, Currants, Ligonberries, and Apple trees. I hope to have at least some fruit next year from the strawberry and black raspberry plants.

Raspberry plants have grown like mad! They should produce well next June/July.

And so the winding down begins.  We have had a couple of brief, light frosts so the tender Geraniums have been dug up and potted and are safe in the shed for now.  I'll have a regular day out in the shed, potting up all the things I want to bring in over winter, a little later.  Maybe a rainy day when it isn't so bright in there.

Plan for next year... plant another fruit tree to the Southwest of the shed to provide some shade on that huge window (which can't be opened).  Anything in there cooked over summer!


That's all for now!  I'll report later how the new job goes for Hubby.  He starts tomorrow....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A post of his own

Adjustments

Summer's End