Fall

Today is what the Scots would call a driech day.... cloudy, rainy, cool... just that unpleasant sort that does not constitute a storm. It was in the forecast so I knew to expect it and was ready. So far we have had a very pleasant late summer - so few days like this that we can't really say it is fall yet! But now we will have several cool days - as far as the forecast goes - and have had a very tiny hint of frost, so I guess it is time. I have gotten in a few last things from the garden including this big bowl of onions! They were spares from my grown-from-seed bunch and were planted very late. I had no expectation of them getting so big!
Another thing that it is time for is applying for the Benefits of getting old in the US...Medicare and Social Security! Oh Joy! Mixed blessing this... Since DH quit working we have not had health insurance, and opted for a Health Group Share program that has cost us less than any independent insurance but has not paid anything towards health incurred costs that we have had (we just got it for catastrophic coverage). So for the last year we have been paying out-of-pocket, using our Health Savings Account that is left from DH's last job. It has kept us going but is getting pretty low, so the Medicare coverage and supplemental insurance that we found is going to kick in just in the knick of time. And cost less than the Health Share plan. I need a physical and DH needs some work done on his tennis arm!
Tennis season is finally over and DH is relieved and sad at the same time. It was a lot of work, but it certainly kept him occupied! He is picking up on his other part-time job more now and able to make more calls. That gets him out of my hair enough to keep me sane! It will all start again in early spring when he starts coaching the Boy's tennis team. I sure hope we can get a vacation in next summer! And as always, there are the grandchildren. A couple of weeks ago there was a Covid case in Baby Girl's room at daycare so that room shut down for a week. I had her for the week, and brother stayed with Grandma a couple of days too, just because. (Neither of them got the germ.) We made aebelskiver one day and they were a big hit.
Last week I played catch-up on housework and errands so this week I feel more in control and can add in some things that I want to have in my routine. I am committing an hour a day to sewing (or more as the mood and time allows) and I also made it to swim this morning! I DO feel better when I swim and it should only take me an hour away from the house, so no excuses!!!! So now, with swimming done, my registration for SS and Medicare done, I am FREE to sew and have fun the rest of the day! I might even watch a movie.

Comments

  1. That doesn't really look as if it would count as dreich! Dreich is much duller and mistier splashier and generally depressing. Your picture looks to me like a pleasant autumn day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HaHa! The photo does not really do it justice... it was pretty dreary. It's just because it is more open here - fewer mature trees - buildings farther apart... And now we have had our first winter storm - rain turning to snow, temperatures falling, and WIND!!! My word! The wind was so horrible I thought the house would fall in! But it did not, and for that I am grateful. I am also very relieved that our power did not go out! It rarely does here, so that is yet another thing to be grateful for! November is a time to count our blessings. I'll post about Thanksgiving later in the month...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A post of his own

Adjustments

Summer's End