Earlier November

Well, we have finally had a 'killing frost" so the garden is done for the year. At the last moment I got a few more onions, a handfull of broccoli, very few small carrots, and we picked quite a few dried bean pods from the pole beans, so I can save them for using the beans in my no-meat meals. So not too bad for a gardening year. It seems you never get a year that is perfect for every plant - last year we had great carrots and no squash, and this year was the opposite!
Me, picking bean pods
Hubby, helping with the clean-up
Empty beds and trellis - except for perennial flowers

  Last week we have even had our first snow!  WHAT a horrible day!  The wind blew like crazy, it started with rain, getting colder by the minute, and finally the hard, icy snow.  Thankfully not much snow and it all melted off in a couple of days.  Now it has warmed up again and a couple of days have been lovely.  We even got out to to some transplanting.  DH dug up the currant bushes that were taking over the blueberry bed.. I know, I know... we don't have the right soil for blueberries!  But I have really worked to condition the soil and added lots of things, both chemical (natural) and organic to improve the acidity, so since the plants have hung on for one or even two years now, I hope they will take off and produce soon!  If they don't make it, I'll move the blackberries over to that space.

Snow on the 10th?

Currant bushes taking over...

Now just blueberries with soil acidifier and peat moss added.

Currants relocated to the back corner garden.

In other news, I am knitting again and finished the Thendara shawl I had started last winter.  It is really pretty and I will do that pattern again!  Then I have re-started the colorwork Icelandic sweater that I had half-done several years ago and decided I didn't like one of the colors.  I frogged it and replaced the color I didn't like.  I think this will be better.
Thendara by Stephen West, done.

A new beginning of the Top-down Icelandic Sweater by Ragga Erikksdottir
A Craftsy class

I have been blessed to find a source of  'clean' meat from my milk man.  Happy Graing Dairy produces pasture raised beef, and the owner's brother raises pastured pork fed with non-GMO grains. I have ordered a quarter of beef and half a pig.  We got the beef and it is divine!  Pork should be ready this week and that will top off the new chest freezer that I bought, just for this meat! I know my cholesterol will probably go up, but it was anyway, even when I was eating very little red meat products.  I'll eat more apples, to balance it out.  Like this:
Steak, baked potato, and apple pie.
The All-American meal! (ha, ha!)

Finally, the requisite grandchildren photos:
Baby Girl loves her apple pie!

Crafts and games while waiting for granny to finish making dinner.


We will have more to post later this month with birthdays and Thanksgiving!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A post of his own

Adjustments

Summer's End