Day 1

I have wanted to keep a diary for years, and when the computer age developed in our home, I wondered how I could use it as a diary.... years later, I finally got my act together and have arrived at the blog-sphere.  Where did my "name" come from?  It was inspired by a book from the UK, a diary of a woman during WWII, called simply "Housewife, 49".  From that, I had to modify the numbers until I had something that was not already taken, thus I am Housewife 5404.

I have many interests and hobbies, only one of which is writing.  I have no real training as a writer - beyond that afforded by our public school system.  However, I have been told that some of the things that I have written are interesting or well-written, so I hope I maintain that compliment and don't set to type anything that is too horrid!

To begin, I am a housewife.  I am a homemaker by choice.  My mother was a homemaker, and my grandmother before her as well.  It was not because we were forced to be housewives by either our religion or our husbands, but we chose to remain at home to care for our families and that was our career.  Now, mind you, my mother would have liked to attend college, but it was not possible when she graduated from high school. So when I grew up, she made sure that I DID attend college so that I would have more options available to me.  I went to junior college, not knowing what I wanted to do, and my Counselor there was finally able to help me identify my interest in Libraries as a field of study.  From Junior college, I went on to University and got a BA in Library and Information Sciences.  Lofty name for a glorified clerk.... in order to be considered a Librarian (that is with a Capital L), one had to go on and get a Masters Degree.  I had no interest in studying any more.   I met my husband in a library class and was married the fall after we graduated.

Due to the recession in the 1980's, jobs were hard to come by and I was lucky to get an office job.  A year later, I finally got a "glorified clerk" position at the local public library.  Yea!  I really did love the work, but hated punching that time clock every day.  One day, we would be able to live off of one salary (His) and I would be able to stay home and start a family.

More later.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A post of his own

Adjustments

Summer's End