Gardening

I am SO grateful that it is now officially, warm and SPRING.  I am all set to GO this year!  I was finally able to do the Master Gardener class, am now in Intern, and HOPE to get my full 60 hours of volunteer time in to become an Official MG this year.  So far I have 10.5.... I completed my Office Training this week.  The Office schedule will be out soon so I can see when I am assigned to work and how many hours I might get. We have other "volunteer opportunities" throughout the year, aside from the Office time.  I do think I will like answering questions about Gardening.  There are all kinds of resources for us to use, so it is just a matter of looking things up!

Here is the first spring photo of our home, with the Veg garden at the far left, and the flower borders across the front and at the postbox.  I hope to make some changes to the borders this year, but not sure how much I can manage.


As a great start, I have started seeds inside and actually have plants up and growing!  I have even built a faux cold frame in my garden, using some discarded windows from the big window replacement project last fall.  Here is what it looks like:


Here is the first annual photo of my home vegetable garden, which will now be called Home Veg. to delineate it from our large vegetable plot.  Here is the first photo of it.  The cherry tree was pruned quite a lot last summer, so I hope I get some more fruit from it this year.  The hoops are a frame to hold a frost blanket (which we will not need THIS week!) The frame against the house was built for the espalier apple tree - but it died after the rabbits ate all the bark off of it.  Now I plan to use it to grow two grape vines; one concord purple and another seedless white.  At the corner of the house, in front of the brick where the green containers are resting, I would like to plant a peach tree.  In the garden I will plant fragile things and the kinds of veggies that I like to run out and pick at the last minute for a meal: cherry tomatoes, snap peas, lettuce and spinach, green onions, cucumbers....  I get hungry just thinking about it!


That is Dear Husband walking alongside it.  He is my main digger.... and he generously VOLUNTEERED to help at the Mt. Hope garden, which we got our first look at last Sunday.  This garden is at our sister church, and it is a very small congregation.  However, the church is on a small acreage that was not being used. The congregation decided it could be an asset and used as a Mission project, to do a garden and donate the produce to needy families and the local food pantry.  Volunteers who work on the church garden may also have a plot of their own.  Here is an awkward photo of ours - I couldn't see my camera screen to take a good photo. It is about 30 x 40 feet, but the photo is taken on the diagonal.  It runs from the grass verge in the far lower left corner being the 'front', grass on either side, and DH is standing and the far end.  I think it is much larger than I imagined it would be!  



I think I need to start more seeds....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A post of his own

Adjustments

Summer's End