January 2018

Januaries are a time for sorting out your thoughts, your house, your plans for the new year. I've done a little of all of these... Since I am following a housekeeping system, my house is in better shape than it has been for a long time.  Still not perfect, but my kitchen is staying tidy and I have a regular routine for cleaning... at least I did!  More on that later...

After the holidays there is a lot of sorting out to do... putting away the holiday decorations, getting your house back in order, finding a "new normal". Many years I get into a major "organizing" mode, but this year, probably because I have been sorting and purging and organizing better over the past few months, I didn't get that huge urge. 

This year, I have been sewing.  I have found inspiration and motivation from watching sewing vlogs on YouTube.  Not that they are professional or are teaching me new methods or techniques (I'm getting that from my Garment Construction class that I take once a month), but the friendliness of knowing there are other sewists (new term for me ) that enjoy making their own clothes as much as I do.  These are the ones that I like best:

Suzanna Forsythe
The Fold Line
And Sew On

One of these referred to a challenge set up by a sewing blogger.  The challenge is called MakeNine2018. You select 9 projects that you would like to make in a year, post them on Instagram under  #MakeNine2018, and post again as you complete each item.  Here are my MakeNine projects;

From top left: A shirt for Aaron - modified to fit him correctly, a Quilt for Jasper made from flannel scraps that I have, an unlined coat, a cardigan (ordered thermal knit online for this one) ,a flannel top made from fabrics that I have, a jacket, another shirt for Aaron, a pullover jumper, and a T-shirt.  By January 15 I had the t-shirt and jumper done, and by Mid-Feb I had the shirt ready for Aaron.  The quilt was started, I had gotten blue flannel for the main background, and ordered a twin sheet set to go with it: the flat sheet I will use for the backing, and give the fitted sheet and pillow case to go with it. I plan to have it done by Jasper's birthday in March!

My other accomplishment this month is to get started on healthy exercise.  Since I can't walk outdoors in slippery weather, I got a friend to join Health Bridge with me, and we are taking a water exercise class.  MUCH better and easier to get going with a friend! HOWEVER, the water exercise class time conflicts with my regular assigned housekeeping time, so I am having to adjust.  Especially on Mondays!  I was getting into the swing of getting up and ready to GO with my major weekly cleaning on Monday mornings.... but with the exercise class at 8:30, that puts a dent into that plan!  You might think that I could just start when I get home, but that isn't realistic.  I have a dog training class in the afternoon, and sometimes also a harp lesson in the evening!  TOO much for one day.  So Housecleaning has moved to Tuesday and I am not getting the same gung-ho feeling that I had for it on Mondays....

And thus went January!
~ post finished and uploaded in March...NO, April.... gee whiz!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A post of his own

Adjustments

Summer's End