And now for April....

 Spring is going to be late.

If it ever arrives.  

I have my doubts.  As usual, I think we will go from light winter into blazing hot summer.

Last year I had made a seed starting shelf in my basement and as usual, I got really leggy plants that got too tall for the shelves before it was warm enough to put them outside - even in the solar shed.  So this year I have made the change to get a heater for the shed.  So far, it is working quite well.  I have quite a few plants growing out there and the heater is keeping the temperature above freezing, even on the lowest setting.  I have also come to find that when the ambient temperature of the shed gets higher, this heater will shut itself off.  Good thing, as I often forget that the sun in shining and it could get really warm in there!  So far the sun and the weather have not snuck up on  me enough that I have forgotten to open up the shed if we get that one really warm day.

the window shelf full of plants

This thermometer records the high temp, current temp, and lowest temp.

As far as the weather outside goes,  It is being it's usual roller coaster.  The past week has been typical with overnight lows below freezing (as low as 23F) and daytime highs in the 40's -if we are lucky.  I did notice that my garlic is beginning to poke up.  Jasper counted 14 little spikes just breaking the ground last week, and in a moment of weakness (a day that was in the 50's) I grabbed a packet of early lettuce mix and planted it alongside the garlic... for company ;-)   And we even had rain one day/night.  OF course overnight it was snow, but still... it was moisture! There was even thunder - which I have not heard in months! 

 And then there is the wind...  For the past few days we have had really strong winds without ceasing... 30 MPH sustained and gusts to 65 MPH.  Today it has finally slowed down to about half that and feels wonderful.  

This week was also dog grooming week as the boys had a Vet appointment.

Bathed and time for brushing and drying.
Elvis can't jump onto the table anymore, so we use the boot bench as a step.

We need a nap after drying for an hour....

Then out to the garage for trimming.  I shaved his face as usual, but also went on down onto his neck. 
Then I did his saddle with the clippers.  I've never done that to him, but it was time. 
He looked like a bear instead of the elegant Afghan Hound that he is.


This weekend is Easter.  Snow is predicted for Sunday so we have cleaned and tidied the basement for the Easter Bunny to scatter the eggs.  I wish he would bring us the gift of light spring showers....


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A post of his own

Adjustments

Summer's End