Bread

 My Grandma Marie made wonderful dinner rolls.  As so many women of her era, she didn't have a written recipe, so when she began to have trouble kneading the dough, the thought of no more Grandma's rolls was ... well unthinkable!  So her daughter, my Aunt Marge made rolls with her one day,  measured everything, and took notes as to when and how Grandma assembled the rolls.  Thanks to her daughter, my cousin Sherri, I have had this recipe for many years and I can finally turn out a decent pan of rolls or a couple of loaves of bread.

I have other bread recipes, and even another recipe for dinner rolls that a friend shared with me from HER mother, but so often I come back to this recipe for Grandma Marie's rolls.  For years it was too dry, sometimes wouldn't rise well, and was only good when fresh out of the oven as it got stale almost by the next day!  I've had lots of help in figuring out how the dough should look and feel to get a good loaf, and a tip from an organic baker at the local farmer's market, to put a pan of water in the oven as I rise and then bake the dough.  When I finally realized that the dough needs to be much softer, then it got much better. Today I'm having my typical problem - the dough is still too sticky and fluid, but I've learned that if I add too much flour, it will end up dry.  So I'm going to deal with a loose dough but I hope it is just because I used flour fresh out of the freezer (as I often do) and it will absorb moisture as it warms up.

Thank GOD for my Kitchenaid Mixer!

All the flour has been added and it has been kneading for at least 10 minutes. 
Still too sticky, but I'll keep it.



The sloppy blob....


Still too moist and loose, but better that than dry!
Now to rise.


Here is the recipe:




Now to do up the dishes while it rises..


OK!  It rose, I made it into loaves, took a photo when the loaves came out of the oven and forgot to save the photos!

It was good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A post of his own

Adjustments

Summer's End