I'm Broken...

Moderate disaster.  Last Saturday my general klutziness kicked into high gear.  I tripped over a curb and broke.  I heard it crunch.  Foot, ankle,... wasn't sure - didn't matter.  It hurt like crazy!  I was away from the house in my car and had gotten out.  The accident happened when I got caught between the car and the curb and turned but didn't step up quickly enough.  I was on a very quiet street in full sight of a much busier street and some very kind soul saw me on the ground and pulled around to ask if I needed help.  That was Angel #1.  She helped me to get up and I was able to get back in the car and drive home.  Husband was away from home for the day - at work and then going out with friends.  I did call him but he didn't pick up his phone (this is typical).  So I called a neighbor... Angel #2, and she took me to the ER.

Husband did come to the hospital to see me, but he figured I had just twisted it badly.  Neighbor was happy to stay with me and take me home, so Hubby asked if I minded if he went on his planned outing.  Rather than have him sit in a very small room and pout and sigh be his usual fussy self, I opted for peace and quiet. He left! Later a Nurse came in to tell me the X-rays showed 4 breaks; 3 in the foot and one at the bottom of the Tibia bone.  They put me in a temporary cast, told me to make an appointment with an Orthopedic Surgeon to have it checked out thoroughly and he would recommend with kind of cast I should have.  Sent me home on crutches.  Neighbor takes me through Drive-through at McDonalds to get my supper and helps me in the house.

I was not miserable, but I wasn't happy.  Crutches are beastly! My evening was quiet, though.  Going up and down stairs is a MAJOR project.  But I butt-scooted down and fed the dogs, and butt-scooted up and to bed. I called my brother to report my condition, as I am supposed to go down to stay with my Dad while they vacation, leaving tomorrow morning.  I am not on the dad-schedule until after my classes on Tuesday, but I still needed to let them know.  Husband got home at midnight.  We didn't get much sleep. ;-)

Sunday was not a happy day.  I was uncomfortable.  Husband was fussy.  He has a lot on his plate at work just now, and is recovering from knee surgery, himself - and JUST got the okay to return to playing tennis. Now he has to take on all the house work and dog care AND he has to do stuff for me!  It is a bit much, I agree.  But he is not taking it well.  I posted my predicament on FaceBook and had many messages of sympathy and offers of help. I am getting sore from using crutches.

Monday I saw the Ortho Man (funny slang term for Orthopaedic Surgeon, but makes me think of a gardener) and he found another break.... which led him to be concerned about possible ligament damage. His best recommendation was to do an MRI to check.  Husband VERY unhappy about that $$$$.  This meant a trip home, and then back a few hours later for the only available appointment for that day in the MRI. I got an air-boot cast - NOT the kind you walk with, but it fits better than the temp cast, and I can get out of it to wash.  Still not a good day.  Crutches are beastly and I am miserable using them!  Called brother #2 who is on his way for his Dad-shift.  He said not to worry, he had it covered. He is Angel #3, Blessings!

Tuesday is my day to teach dog training classes. One of my students lives close to me, and offered to drive me down (we live about 20 minutes from the training Club). Angel #4 - Bless her!  Without her help, I would not have tried to go.  BTW, we had an inch of snow over night....  Thank goodness for helpful people!  She drove me to the club, helped me get inside, got the resident wheelchair for me, and I was ready to rumble!  Sitting in the wheelchair the whole time, I taught my 2 classes and Marge got me home again, exhausted but satisfied.  Two of my friends have offered to bring food so we don't have to cook.  Today's cook, Angel #5, stopped by in the late afternoon and stayed to visit a bit.  That was so nice - both the food and the visit.  She understood my position as she had had a broken foot, too!  Husband took time away to go out and borrow back an extra walker we had for his mom... she had two... so he had lent the extra to a friend's mother.  They are not using it, so now I have it!  What a relief!  MUCH better than the crutches - but I will still have to use those blasted things when I am upstairs or leave the house.....

Wednesday was quiet for me.  Good thing.  I slept about 2 hours overnight.....  Husband was up and out of the house early. He did let the dogs out in the yard to play, but only for about 10 minutes.  Then he fed them and they are kenneled for the day.  Poor babies.  I TRIED to accomplish something today.  I turned the TV off before 10am and I read.  Finished a fiction book and then read some of my non-fiction books about knitting, esp. the history of knitting.  Interesting, but I did get sleepy.  Later afternoon I got up after a rest and actually worked on a crochet project!  I finished stitching some blocks together on an afghan, and am now ready to work on the border!  None of this was easy as I had to scoot myself around the house, collecting all the tools and bits and pieces that I needed. Husband arrives home in between crises.  He has been to a meeting an hour from home and his car died.  He got a ride back and has argued with the Service Dept. that was supposed to have fixed the car with the same problem just a week ago! Now the poor guy has to take my car and drive back to get it towed to a service center close to where it died.
 Just as I finished  working on the afghan, my second cook, Angel #6, dropped off her supper for us, and stayed to visit.  She has had a bad leg too!  AND she offers to drive me to my Dr. appointment tomorrow so Husband doesn't have to.
I fell off my walker - I knew it was going to happen if I wasn't careful!  It did.  I am MUCH more careful now.  The best news - I actually got a shower and clean clothes for the first time in days!!!!  I feel SO much better.

And finally, I have arranged for a dog-savvy friend -Angel #7- to come help with the dogs.  Tomorrow she will come and scoop poop and exercise Elvis. WOW.  It WILL BE a GOOD day.

You have no idea how wonderful your friends are until you really need them.  I have been surrounded by Angels.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A post of his own

Adjustments

Summer's End