In-Between days....

Well, I have had good news and bad news.
The breaks in my foot are clean and will heal properly in about 6 weeks.  HOWEVER, not only did the Orthopedic Surgeon find another break in one of my ankle bones, but the ligament is torn and MUST be repaired.  So now I get to have surgery!  NOT happy.  It is a quick repair, outpatient surgery should only last an hour or so, and then I get to go home.  But they will wrap my foot and leg up in a solid plaster cast and that has me panicked.  I am claustrophobic and feeling that I am in any way confined gets my engine running..... I have been able to tolerate the temporary cast and this air cast because if I get really uncomfortable (usually too hot or even a burning sensation), I can take them off and put them back on.  I have tried to be very firm with myself and not slip out of it for any old reason, only when I get unbearably uncomfortable, but the thought of NOT being able to open it up has me rather stressed.

 The good news is that this solid cast need stay on only 2 weeks, then I get the air cast back.  The bad news is that I will need at least 3 months of no pressure on this ankle so it will heal properly.  July 1????  YIKES!

Guess I had better get used to this crutches and walker thing....

In the past few days I have found that I CAN:
fix myself food using the microwave
actually cook a simple meal on the stove
set the table
load/unload the dishwasher... being very careful NOT to slide off the seat of the walker!
fold laundry
Knit, crochet
read - but I can't get to my bookcase!
watch TV... need to whittle down my time in front of TV
I have devised a way to open the slider door and let the dog out and in without getting out of my recliner!

Things I can not do:
Go up or down the stairs more than once a day... it is a bear!!!
Go down basement stairs and let dogs out or feed them ... even if I could bear to slide down the bare-wood steps, I am very afraid the dogs might knock me over... so no way!
Do laundry (down in basement)
major sewing projects - I can't stand or move around to cut out fabrics.
Go outdoors alone...  steps and fear of falling with no one to pick me up!
Gardening
Pick things up off the floor.... sometimes me can, sometimes me can't....

I am sure I will be adding to both of these lists, but this is what I have come up with so far!

Sigh....  But I must remember that the Good Lord doesn't give us more than we can handle.....

Until next time.... Blessings!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A post of his own

Adjustments

Summer's End