Progress

Well, it has been 2 weeks since the surgery to repair my broken bones and torn ligaments and things are going well.  The first couple of days were pretty rough!  Yes, I did take the full prescription of pain medications but started backing off of them by day 3, and was pretty well done with them in less than a week.... but since I was taking aspirin to prevent blood clots from forming, I couldn't take ibuprofen, so when I get achy or restless, I still take a small dose.

I was really concerned about being in a solid cast, so I talked to my GP about this and he gave me a RX for anxiety.... but the surgeon took pity on me and did not give me a full plaster cast.  I was really happy to see that if I got really panicky I could take almost all of the bandaging off, but I didn't!  And I didn't take any of the anxiety meds, either!  So I was a very good girl ;-)

Yesterday was the big day - to go back to the Surgeon's and get the surgical cast removed and see how things are healing.  I had a whole slew of X-rays but it was all good!  Everything appears to be healing even better than expected so the Dr. is optimistic that I will be out of this cast in less time than originally predicted!  YIPPEEEE!  I am going to be SO good and SO careful!!!!

I also had the opportunity to see an X-ray of my injuries.  The bones in my foot are knitting very well - and I thought they must be because I have no pain in my foot anymore - and was shocked to see where all the screws and pins were in my leg!  GEEZ - I look like the Tin Man!  No wonder it hurts!  and the incision for the repair work is about 6", from my outside ankle bone to about 1/3 of the way up my leg!  For now, that incision is what is most uncomfortable.  I got the stitches out, but they put some tape across it to stabilize it until it is more healed.  ITCH!!!




The highlight of my day yesterday was still to come. I got a shower!  I will never again take the simple act of showering for granted!!!  AND the small pack rat gene in me was rewarded.  I needed some kind of tall, soft sock to wear over my foot, under the air cast...  i thought I remembered seeing some of the kid's tube socks in a drawer... and sure enough, I found them  Two pairs - that will last me 4 days!  And it feels GOOD!

Today's treat was having my friend Jessica come and take Elvis for a long walk - he is tired out and happy.

 And now I am going to drive myself over to see my mother-in-law.

Improvement all around!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A post of his own

Adjustments

Summer's End