Progress!

Just a quick note on the status of my broken leg, etc.  Interview with Orthopedic surgeon was wonderful, he claims I am making excellent progress.  I may now progress to "putting weight on it as tolerated", and not wearing the cast in bed at night (particularly wonderful). I am still on crutches, though. So as I walked out of the office, using my foot to bear a little weight and putting considerably less stress on my hands, I was much relieved!  Getting around is easier now, and I can even go upstairs upright!

The weather this week has been Spring-like.... 80's on Sunday and back down to highs in the 50's and rain throughout the week.  And we even had SNOW showers on Thursday morning.  The temperature at that time was 38F. I'm still going to set out hardy plants this weekend, if Aaron agrees to take me shopping and help me.....

Now, on to more philosophical comments....

In the past week I have read a couple of books, both by one of my favorite authors, D.E. Stevenson.  I can read her books over and over again.  They are just the kind I like best:  everyday people, living everyday lives... but DES does such a wonderful job of describing her characters and the world around them.  The books that I have been through (again) this past week are Anna and her Daughters and The Four Graces.  In the Four Graces, we see a country village during WWII, where the local vicar and his 4 daughters are humming along companionably.  All the daughters are grown up, but none of them are married!  This seems a bit odd to me, but with the war on, and living in a village where there are probably not many men to choose from in the first place, maybe it is more plausible.  But this is just at the beginning of our story, and as we move along through time with Mr. Grace and his daughters, they are in for quite a few changes, war or not.  DES says in the preface that she does not wish to dwell on the horrors of wartime, but simply share it's affects on the day to day living... waiting for letters, rationing, doing without goods and making do were all unavoidable aspects of wartime England and became so much a part of life that they could not be overlooked.

 The second book is written much later, well after WWII, and probably takes place in the early 1960's.  Anna's husband has just passed away, leaving her and their 3 older daughters with no savings or income to maintain their well-to-do London lifestyle.  We are given a very clear account of all the personalities as we are shown how each of them reacts to this news, and how they respond to the change in lifestyle that Anna decides to take - moving all of them to her small home village in Scotland.  She realizes that this is where they can live cheaply and much more comfortably than her small income could support them in London.  DES begins the story with wonderful character sketches and develops each character to live out the changing circumstances as only their personalities can allow.  One wonders if Ms. Stevenson ever took a class in psychology, or if it is simply her gift of observation that has allowed her to create such clear characters?  To any Anglophile out there who enjoys clean, creative, well-written books, give either of these a try.  You might choose to go on to another book by D.E. Stevenson, many of which share location and some characters, but would not be considered serials.

Currently I am reading a non-fiction book about Beatrix Potter. This book came out several years ago and enjoyed some popularity and fame.  I am enjoying it, but for some reason, my brain begins to wander when I read non-fiction - or even fade into sleep. This is NO reflection on the book - I can be dynamically interested in the subject and appreciate the writing style, but for some reason.... I nod off.  So Beatrix sits on my bedside table and I try to enjoy several pages before my non-fiction induced narcolepsy sets in....

Another newly discovered gem is a series of programs produced by the BBC back in 1987.  They are called The Victorian Kitchen Garden and show an English estate walled kitchen garden, which they renovated and demonstrated plantings and methods of really sustainable gardening in the late 1800's.  Each half-hour episode celebrates what was going on in the garden for one month of the calendar year.  I was fascinated by this series and watched them all over 2 evenings.... now I am starting all over to see what I missed! They are available on YouTube.

Here is my one photo this week - in honor of National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day which was Thursday, May 15th.

I used a recipe that I got from my best friend in High School, and promptly sent this picture to her in a text message... which began a wonderful telephone conversation and a promise to get together soon!  Double-good day!

Comments

  1. Hello. Thanks so much for your birthday wishes for my husband. I've just ordered "Anna and her Daughters" from the library, on your recommendation. I shall look forward to it.

    I was amused that you regretted putting on a skirt and t-shirt when it was only 63 degrees! I'm busy in the garden and finding it rather too hot - I imagine it's about 65 here, with a cooling breeze. It all depends what you're used to.

    Glad your leg is improving. I must return to the garden now (visitors coming and lots to do) but shall be back to find out how you broke it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A post of his own

Adjustments

Summer's End