The UP Swing to Spring?

I think we might be in spring now.... today's high should be in the 80's!  This is how we roll in South Dakota.... Freezing to HOT. 

In my last post I mentioned that I had put frost-hardy seedlings out into the solar shed.  They froze.  My High-Low thermometer registered a low of 11... they just couldn't take that.  Within a couple of days, the temperature registered was 105... are you kidding???  There is NO temperature control so when it is sunny, it really warms up in there, and when it is cold overnight, nothing is there that can maintain the heat.  I need to work on this...  In the mean time, I have replanted most of the things that were ruined, and started even more.  AND adjusted my own habit to check the weather forecast and the solar shed daily to help regulate the heat by opening and closing the door and window.
Starting again... Broccoli, cabbage, Cauliflower.




I'm still waiting for my plant orders to arrive... yes, plural.  I forgot that I had already placed an order back in early January and put almost the same order in again in early March.  Yes, I feel silly.  Anyone need a cherry tree?  and I will have plenty of blueberry bushes.  Which is a good thing because it doesn't look like the ones I planted last year are going to make it.  Sigh....

But with the weather improving I have had a couple of days where I could work outside. All kinds of things are checked off my list!  I have:
1 Picked up the garden trash from where it was piled in one bed and bagged it all up
2 Planted the arborvitae tree that I purchased as a decoration at Christmas
3 Tidied up the compost corner
4 Connected the irrigation hose to the sump line 
5 Ammended the cleared bed and raked it ready for planting
6 Pruned the Black Raspberries !!! (and have the scratches to prove it)
7 Dug up perennials from the old raised bed and moved them - this included moving the grape plant!
8 Started to tidy the shed so I have it organized and made a space to work.


I bought this poor arborvitae as a Christmas decoration.  It has spent the winter
on the front porch.  I hope it lives now that I have it planted in the ground!

One of my original beds, where I had stuck in my perennials.  
The plants are now moved so I can move the whole bed.

This bed is all cleared off, ammended, and ready to plant brassicas. I want to put a row cover over it.

The irrigation hose is now connected to the Sump Drain. Here it is on the garlic and onions bed.

My rat's nest of Black Raspberries.

Neatly Pruned and tied in.



I plan to use this blog as a diary this year and keep better track of my garden progress.  I am also using the Garden Journal that I made last year.  Hopefully, between the two, I can have an accurate record of what I do.

If only I can figure out how to keep track of my orders...!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A post of his own

Adjustments

Summer's End